Technology and artificial intelligence (AI) have infiltrated almost every industry imaginable. For better or worse, AI is here to stay — and it’s only getting smarter.
In 2022, OpenAI, an artificial intelligence research and development company, created a tool called ChatGPT. This tool has the potential to change even more about each industry as we know it today, even the marketing and advertising industry.
Keep reading to find out how.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is an AI computer program that uses its intelligence to intake, comprehend and produce a response that mimics the natural diction of human language.
The program uses a transformer-based neural network that works off of so much data that the AI can analyze that information and create a response from it. When a human user converses with ChatGPT, the AI processes the human text and generates the answer based on the data it has access to.
The technology also considers context, syntax and word associations, which is how it can produce responses that mimic human speech and writing.
Whether it’s questions, answers, essays or entire conversations, this technology is meant to carry on as a human would.
ChatGPT can also:
- Answer follow-up questions.
- Admit mistakes.
- Challenge incorrect premises.
- Reject inappropriate requests.
Because of its human-like capabilities, ChatGPT has countless uses.
Top 11 ways marketers can use ChatGPT
1. Content creation
One of the biggest tasks for marketers is content creation. How can they grab the attention of consumers? What are the most significant trends? Or better yet, how can they create a trend?
While it takes an exceptional marketer to have an accurate pulse on the culture, ChatGPT can certainly make content creation smoother. ChatGPT can write product descriptions, headlines, blog posts, call-to-actions and other written content and make it sound just like a human.
Marketers can create compelling content in a fraction of the time with the assistance of ChatGPT, including:
- Blog posts: Marketers can enter keywords and specific requirements into ChatGPT, and the AI model will create high-quality, original content that is SEO-friendly and engaging for the target audience.
- Social media posts: ChatGPT can generate social media posts for various platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. The AI technology will search its database for trending words and optimize short, quippy captions or longer, blog-style captions for the user.
- Video scripts: ChatGPT can generate video scripts for marketing and promotional videos. Whether it’s a commercial or a full-length feature, ChatGPT can do it. Remember that the AI software will likely ask several follow-up questions about information and style, but it is possible.
2. Lead generation
Because of its linguistics capabilities, ChatGPT can carry on interactive text-based conversations to problem-solve with site visitors.
During these conversations, ChatGPT is not only helping customers, but it is also gathering information that can be used for lead generation and lead nurturing. Marketers can also use ChatGPT to engage with website visitors and valuable segmentation information.
More specific uses include:
- Chatbots: Marketers can use ChatGPT to build chatbots for their ecommerce sites and social media platforms. Chatbots can engage with visitors, just like humans, to provide information about products and services and collect contact and preference information for lead generation purposes.
- Lead scoring: ChatGPT can be integrated into a lead scoring system to help identify and prioritize high-quality leads. Generally, this takes some kind of lead scoring matrix or program; however, ChatGPT analyzes a visitor’s interactions with a website, social media or chatbot and assigns a score based on whichever factors the marketer would like.
- Targeted email campaigns: Because ChatGPT can store and analyze so much data, it can generate personalized email campaigns based on a consumer’s behavior and interests. By analyzing a customer’s interactions with the website, social media or chatbot, ChatGPT can generate highly targeted emails to help increase the effectiveness of email campaigns and conversions.
3. Email marketing
ChatGPT will generate personalized email campaigns based on customer behavior and preferences. Marketers can utilize AI to ensure emails are tailored to each customer based on interests and buzzwords. The best ways to do this include the following:
- Subject line optimization: A subject line is the first thing a recipient sees. It either pulls them in or gets sent to the trash. ChatGPT can test, generate and provide recommendations for various subject lines to find the best-performing ones for a specific audience.
- Email segmentation: ChatGPT can analyze consumer behavior, identify common patterns based on interaction and segment email lists based on recipient behavior, preferences and interests.
- A/B testing: Marketers use A/B testing to analyze the performance of different email variations from subject line to format. ChatGPT can optimize email campaigns by analyzing the performance of different email variations and providing recommendations on which are likely to be the most effective for a particular audience.
4. Customer service
ChatGPT is an excellent resource for providing 24/7 customer support, so your ecommerce site is available to consumers no matter their time zone or shopping needs. Train ChatGPT as a chatbot to answer FAQs, support requests and more needs like:
- Automated Chatbots: ChatGPT can handle simple and routine customer service inquiries, such as order tracking, account information and product information.
- Self-Service: ChatGPT can provide customers with self-service options for resolving their issues like referrals to FAQs, tutorials and videos.
- Multi-Language Support: It can be difficult to find customer service agents who speak more than one or two languages, and customers from all backgrounds need assistance. ChatGPT is a customer service representative that speaks multiple languages, making it easier for companies to serve customers globally.
ChatGPT will help with time and resources, as the AI can help sites assist more customers and provide cheaper labor for companies. In turn, this frees up time for human employees to focus on customers with more complex needs.
While this might not seem like a form of marketing, nurturing return consumers helps ensure that they have a positive experience with your brand.
5. Social media management
Many brands have turned to automation for social media. There are several platforms out there that handle scheduling, streamlining and optimization. ChatGPT will complete those same tasks, including:
- Scheduling: ChatGPT can be used to optimize the scheduling of social media posts based on audience behavior, preferences and peak usage times.
- Analysis: The program can analyze data and provide insights on consumer behavior, preferences and trends to provide actionable insights for creating a stronger strategy.
- Advertising: ChatGPT can analyze data to recommend the best ad formats and creative elements for a company’s campaign.
6. Personalized recommendations
Customers want to feel like an individual and also appreciate guidance when it comes to any shopping need. ChatGPT can collect data that shows customer preferences and use that to make personalized recommendations on products and content.
You can also integrate AI to be interactive, with quizzes and games, so customers can have a positive and engaging experience. Based on collected data, ChatGPT will recommend:
- Products: Using browsing and purchase history, ChatGPT can recommend products most likely to interest the customer.
- Content: ChatGPT can use data and behaviors to understand a customer’s preferences and recommend content like recommending articles, videos and podcasts.
- Advertising: The AI program can personalize online advertising to increase the likelihood that a customer will be engaged enough to purchase.
7. Voice assistance
The more inclusive and accommodating a business can be, the better natural advertising it gets.
Integrate ChatGPT into voice assistants, like Amazon Alexa or Google Home, to provide a more inclusive customer service experience.
- Customer service: A voice assistant to provide customers with an automated and conversational customer service experience.
- Product information and recommendations: Product information and recommendations created by ChatGPT can be synced with the device’s voice reader to help customers find the right products and services based on their needs and preferences.
8. Market research
Market research is essential for any advertising team because to stay in the loop with the audience, you must know their interests. ChatGPT can streamline the market research process by:
- Conducting surveys: ChatGPT can conduct surveys and questionnaires to gather insights from target demographics. It can even create custom questions for individual consumers based on current data to drive future decisions.
- Analyzing feedback: The program can analyze customer feedback, measure it against critical trends and generate a detailed report so marketers can better understand customer preferences and perceptions.
9. Onboarding and training
Due to ChatGPT’s language processing tool, the software can drive engaging conversations. If a company has employees complete independent or virtual training, employees might have several unanswered questions during the process.
By integrating ChatGPT into the process, future marketers will be able to have immediate answers to their questions during the onboarding process. They can even ask follow-up questions because of ChatGPT’s dynamic usage.
Other uses for ChatGPT include:
- Personalized learning paths: Based on a new marketer’s skills and experience, ChatGPT will create customized learning paths.
- Interactive scenarios: ChatGPT can generate interactive scenarios and even role-playing exercises, allowing new marketers to practice their skills in a controlled, low-stakes environment.
- Marketing terminology and processes: Every company has its own vocabulary, as well as commonly used industry acronyms. ChatGPT can explain terminology and processes simply and engagingly by generating definitions and explanations of marketing terms and concepts.
10. Search engine optimization
SEO refers to the amount of web traffic your ecommerce business gets and the relevance of that traffic to your business. SEO is a tremendous tool that can help you grow your search engine results to acquire and retain existing customers, and ChatGPT can help with that.
- Keywords: The AI will search its widespread database to generate a list of relevant keywords based on a given prompt or topic. Marketers can then use those keywords to optimize content and copy.
- Meta descriptions: Relevant meta descriptions help improve the click-through rate on search engine results pages. ChatGPT uses its data to generate meta descriptions that can improve those rates.
- Link building: Links are all about being strong, relevant and ethical. ChatGPT can generate links to improve an ecommerce site’s search engine ranking.
11. Data Organization
There is so much data that tracking marketers must organize to stay at the forefront of their audience’s needs. Often, the easiest way to keep track of data is through a spreadsheet like Excel or Google Sheets.
However, if marketers have yet to be trained in spreadsheet formulas, it can be a very frustrating and time-consuming practice to be tasked with. ChatGPT can take that frustration away.
By entering customer information, research results, budgets and customer feedback, ChatGPT can generate lists of data in spreadsheet form.
ChatGPT cannot create the spreadsheet itself, but it can organize the information for the marketer. It can also follow commands to help marketers complete spreadsheet formulas.
For example, a marketer can type a command into ChatGPT like “Show me a Google Sheet formula that copies all rows from sheet2 where column B contains the word ‘jeans.'” ChatGPT would then produce that formula for the marketer to apply to the spreadsheet and further organize data.
What can’t ChatGPT do for marketers?
With so many ways marketers can use ChatGPT, it almost makes the job seem obsolete. However, there is still no genuine replacement for humans, their drive and their creativity.
Even though ChatGPT is one of the most advanced artificial intelligence language programs, it does have its limitations.
- ChatGPT cannot perform physical tasks, like handling physical products, conducting in-person market research or contributing personality to team meetings.
- While ChatGPT is incredibly intelligent, its database is the Internet — and not everything you read online is true. Therefore, there is no 100% guarantee of accuracy when using the tool. Marketers should always verify the accuracy of their interactions with ChatGPT.
- There is no substitute for human decision-making. ChatGPT can analyze endless data and make calculated recommendations, but there is no replacement for the gut instinct of a marketer.
How you can utilize ChatGPT
ChatGPT is a powerful AI program that marketers can use to enhance the efficiency and accuracy of their campaign efforts.
From lead generation and content creation to customer support and search engine optimization, ChatGPT is a tool that marketers can implement to save time, effort and money while still producing high-quality ideas.
Are you interested in learning more about where artificial intelligence is heading? Visit Entrepreneur.com for everything you want to know.