Jozef Rogulski the Executive Chef at the 5-star hotel, The Stafford London has shared his recipe for Chicken Kiev and Truffle Butter from The Game Bird restaurant at the hotel.
– 4 free-range chicken breasts
– 1 black truffle (optional)
– 500g butter
– 1 finely diced shallot
– 5 cloves of garlic crushed
– 4 tbsp chopped chives
– 100g black truffle paste / fresh chopped truffle (optional)
– 150g flour
– 2 eggs
– 300g bread crumbs
- Allow the butter to soften. Fry the garlic and shallots in a little oil for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Allow cooling then mix the truffle paste, garlic, shallots, and chives into the butter. Add a pinch of sea salt to taste then put the mix into a piping bag.
- Make a small incision in the chicken breast with a knife to create a pocket in the breast.
- Insert the end of the bag as deep as you can into the breast and pipe in the butter mixture.
- Place the chicken in the fridge for 2 hours to allow the meat to firm and the butter to set.
- To wrap the chicken in crumbs, roll the stuffed breasts in flour, followed by egg, then bread crumbs. Repeat the egg and bread crumb stage twice to get a thick coating.
- To cook, deep fry the chicken until golden brown then carefully transfer to an oven tray and cook for a further 20 minutes at 180°C.
Serve with buttery mashed potatoes and fresh shavings of truffle.